I usually see clients from infants to 5years of age. This week I have seen age between 2-5 a lot and lot of them were either overweight or close to obesity.
I always ask what kind of drinks are offer to those kids. This week I ran into a child who drinks 8oz 7-8X a day. Wow... that is a lots of milk and top of that he gets juices 8oz 3-4X a day. He must be a big drinker here.
What happen to people who takes large quantity of milk? Study has found that there is low intakes of iron, linoleic acid and vitamin E, and excessive intakes of sodium, potassium, and protein, which indicates poor nutrition. These kids might be so full and they don't want to eat nutritious foods throughout the day, instead they would just snack throughout the day.
As we all know fruit juices has large quantity of sugar, which link to dental caries and gastrointestinal symptoms. Also there was a study that shown when excessive fruit juice consumer, decreased their juice intake their growth improved (Pediatrics 1994;93:438-43). So we can say that juice cause malabsorption and could displace other nutrients in the diet.
Those who are worry about their children, think about how much juice and milk products are given to them. Child who is under 5 should only be given 4oz 4-6X a day of milk products (which include not only milk, cheese and yogurt count as milk product).
No comments:
Post a Comment